Get the book 'I'm Just Sittin' Here Reminiscing' by Chris Dawson

*** SPECIAL OFFER - NOW REDUCED FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY TO £0.99 ***

The history of Bushido Judo Kwai now on a downloadable eBook by

clicking here

Friday 29 October 2010

BUSHIDIO JUDO KWAI & NDLB JUDO CLUB.



PHOTO
Tom Jickells (in the specs with his hand raised), standing against the back wall
Referees left to right, Chris Dawson, Unknown, Ron Suddaby and Ken Holmes.

This was taken at the NDLB Judo Club, Hull, Yorks in the late 1970s, NDLB was a very well respected judo club, as were it's two instructors Tom Jickells and Jim Tanser.
I first met Tom and Jim in May 1977, when the Bushido Judo Kwai received an invitation to a championship that NDLB were holding, this resulted in a long and happy association between our two clubs, so much so, that there members joined us in the British Judo Coucil (MAC).
I am sure that past members from both clubs, will have happy memories of traveling back and forward to each others events.
GREAT TIMES.

9 comments:

  1. I Was There When This Photo Was Taken! Brings Back So Many Great Memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,
    Good to hear from you and welcome to our blog,
    like you i have many happy memories of our many trips down to Hull, you were a great bunch to be with.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me again, if you want to find more of our photos (hundreds) go to, Picasa Web Albums Bushido Judo Kwai.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris,
    Thanks for the link. I enjoyed looking through the pictures last night and was shocked to spot one of me! I have just shown my son them and he is now asking me lots of questions!!!Well done you, for keeping at it. I am really impressed. Japan looks fab. A place i have always wanted to visit. I saw my dad last night and told him about this website. He is going to have a look next week when he visits.
    Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That excellent Debbie, if the photo you mention was the one taken in Belgium in 1979, i have just put it on Facebook. Japan was just the best, the people were fantastic, we were at the Kodokan for a couple of nights and on the mat was Steve Blower from Essex i hadnt seen him for 25 years, how about that for a chance in a million !
      Chris

      Delete
  5. What a place to reunite!!Time flies. Yes the picture taken in Belgium is the one. Lots of faces i recognise and a few names iknow.Denise Cunningham and i(she is next to me on the photo with long dark hair) climbed down the drainpipe to get out on a night out, as the female coach would not let us go out!.Her youngersister Donna, who is also in the photo was going to sprag on us so Denise had to pay her off! Unfortunately she got scratched by a wild cat on the way down and she had to go for a tetanus jab the next day, so we got caught out anyway!We bumped in to each other in town about 15 years later and we had a good giggle about it!.
    Brilliant times and so much fun....It makes you wonder how we ever won anything! (ps my son has put rod stewart as my google account pic....)
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I new nothing of this and we were in the same hotel as you were, in fact Ray Barnes (he and his wife are in the photo) and i sneeked out to the bar over the road and were there till 4 in the morning, so it wasnt just you kid's trying to escape, so were the officials !!!!!!
    PS, My partner Fiona is a huge Rod Stewart fan.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fiona has great taste. I am just reading his auto biography which my son (Matthew) bought me for christmas.He thinks it highly amusing hence the picture!(he is only 12, although taller than me already!)
    You were all obviously too engaged to spot a number of us sneaking out!. I vaguely remember meeting a few of the lads in a pub around the corner and playing pool.We were not out until 4 though, probably why we got away with it, well until the following day.If i recall, I don't think we told the whole story!!
    Debbie.

    ReplyDelete